Pages

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Who Is Raising The Children?


I've been taking classes toward my teacher recertification, which has been a good experience for the most part. I'm taking a class on Dialects, which I thought would be extremely boring, but it has turned out to be relatively interesting. So, yesterday the class started doing short presentations about our research projects, and one lady presented on how her children speak differently and she wanted to research how children acquire language. Her husband is from Virginia and one of her daughters speaks with a Virginian accent and the other daughter speaks with more of a Southern accent.

The professor then shared his experience and said that his daughters had the same experience. The woman who cared for his children had a very strong Southern accent, and he and his wife do not. But, for the longest time his children did, because of being around her.

And he said, "It was amazing that my children had the exact same accent as the woman who raised them, . . . I mean, who helped to raise them."

I thought to myself, no, you had it right the first time. The woman who raised them.

When women go to work and leave the care of their children with someone else everyday for the majority of the children's waking hours, then that person is raising them.

And it's sad.

The other day a radio personality talked about the guilt that so many working mothers face. They feel guilty for not being there for their children, and so they try to make up for it with material things, and trying to give them everything that they want. Which, obviously, does more harm than good. Material things cannot make up for a mother's absence in the home.

There are many women that feel that they must work to help their family, and I think the best solution to that is working part-time or working from home if possible. With the economy as it is it can be very challenging for families right now. But, I don't think that children have to be completely abandoned for a family to stay afloat.

Raising children, especially during the first 3- 5 years is so crucially important to do while being home with them. I think whatever sacrifice is necessary to take to ensure that a mother is home with her children during their most informative years is worth it. There is always time to go back to a career. But, you can never get back the years that you are the center of your child's world.

5 comments:

Love Abounds At Home said...

I have found that when mothers know that they are going back to work, they don't bond with their infants as much. It's like they subconsciously detach themselves from the infant.
Great post!

Debbie said...

Excellent post. I am visiting from Raising Homemakers but I'll be back. I am your newst follwer.

LaSandra said...

Great post! It has been difficult; however, I am glad that I stopped working outside the home full-time to be a full-time mom for my children!

Also, the Lord has opened up many doors for me to do paid and unpaid work that has not taken me away from home.

Mrs. Stam said...

so true, that is why I take time to stay home and raising our little one, even when it's not easy!

Lynn said...

I think a woman will never regret those years she spends at home, nurturing her family. It is wonderful to know you've given them your very best :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...