Pages

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Mommyhood Doesn't Mean Frumpyhood


I am currently reading the novel, Yummy Mummy by Polly Williams, and it has been an enjoyable read so far. I can so relate to the main character who is struggling with maintaining her old identity and realizing that her new identity as a mother, as well as many other mothers in her mommy circle are, well, . . . frumpy.

This book has made me laugh, but also I've thought about how important it is as mothers to still put forth effort in our appearance. It's easy to hide behind, oh I'm a mother now, it doesn't really matter. But, it does matter.

What are a few things every mommy can do to rejuvenate herself and feel feminine and appealing?

1. Keep fingernails and toenails painted.
Simple, but goes a long way toward feeling feminine and reflecting someone who cares about themselves and their appearance. Before, I usually kept my toes done during the summer, and very rarely had my fingernails done. But, I've decided lately to start doing both and it does put an extra pep in my step, and it just feels good. If you can't afford to go to the salon, just do it yourself!

2. Wear flattering dresses.
Having a couple of cute, casual dresses in your closet can be a lifesaver! Dresses are the most comfortable article of clothing, in my opinion. Your body can breathe and you don't have to find something to match. Just grab a dress and go. Perfect for having small children, and not a lot of time to primp. Make sure it's a dress that flatters your body, and doesn't just hang like a sack.

3. Wear a bit of make-up.
Even if it's just lipstick and blush. Doing that little bit will help you look pulled together and refreshed.

4. Wear heels.
I'm not saying you have to walk around the house in heels, but if you're going out of the house, try wearing some heels. I did this the other day, and I was amazed at how feminine I felt. Before having children, I lived in heels. I did not like flat shoes. After having my children, I wore flat shoes a lot more, because I thought it was more practical. Needless to say, I did not feel as fabulous. Heels look more feminine, and help you feel more feminine.



Those are my top ideas for not being a frumpy mommy. There's nothing wrong with looking pretty while being a mother. It does require extra effort, but the rewards are worth it.

What about you? Are there any other ideas you have for being a yummy mummy?


This post is linked with:

Women Living Well Wednesday
Raising Homemakers

1 comment:

Sarah R said...

Another great post. I am a plus sized lady, and I think us larger girls are known for being extra frumpy. It makes me try even harder! Last week I wore a red dress with a white cardigan to church with red peeptoe wedges. Simple, took me five minutes to get dressed. I show up at church, and the other moms are mostly wearing jeans or capris with tees and flip flops. I promise I am not judging. One lady said to me, "Oh Sarah, you always look so nice!"
Well, yes. I put effort into my look. I'm also a huge fan of a dress for the same reason you mention, don't have to worry about finding a matching piece. Plus, no muffin top. Simple sandals, a cardi, and a simple necklace take really no time at all.
For years, I used my kids as a reason as to why I dressed poorly. Not anymore.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...