Pages

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Detachment

I don't understand why some people are so intent on separating mothers from their children, and trying to tell young mothers how to mother.

I know that I'm a young mother, and I don't know everything, but I think I do a pretty good job. But, there have been individuals, namely in-laws, who continue to disparage the fact that I continue to breastfeed, although my son is 7 months old. That's too old, in their opinion, to be breastfeeding an infant.

Then, of course, I should be using my college degree and have a career, and leave him in daycare. After all, that's what they did, because their children needed "socialization." Please, someone tell me, how much socializing can infants do amongst each other? They can't walk over to each other and hang out and have conversations. I'm amazed at the lengths that some people can go to separate me from my child.

Now, I'm dealing with a relative, an in-law, who continues to pressure me to allow my son to stay with her alone, without me for at least two or three days. I feel VERY uncomfortable with this. She's making me feel like I'm being selfish and overprotective, because I don't want to spend a full day or night away from my 7 month old baby!!! Am I the only one who thinks this is ludicrous? Plus, she lives in another state! Granted, it's about 2 hours away, but still.

Maybe I do appear rude in her eyes, but for right now, that is just how it's going to be, until I feel a strong conviction to do otherwise. I just knew I was the one who delivered the baby via C-section, and has unsightly stretch marks to prove it. You would think this lady was the actual one to give birth to him.

I just can't believe how determined a person could be to undermine how I mother my son.

2 comments:

Elspeth said...

I agree with you 100%. Stand strong, because you are RIGHT- on all of it: the breastfeeding, the daycare, and on keeping your son as close to you for as long and as often as possible.

People mean well, but our culture just doesn't value the importance of motherhood and the bonds between mothers and their kids.

S. Belle said...

Terry, thank you for your encouragement. I appreciate it. I've almost questioned my convictions, because some people close to me make me seem like a villain for not wanting to separate from my child, just so they can spend a few days alone with the baby. Your encouragement is greatly appreciated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...