Pages

Friday, May 30, 2008

Homeschooling?

I started thinking about homeschooling my children after my second year of being a middle school teacher. There were so many needy children who could not read properly for their grade level. It was very challenging to try to meet their various needs, while still stimulating the kids who had higher reading levels. I realized how it's like that in many classrooms, and many teahers admit that they teach to the middle of the bunch. Not necessarily challenging the brighter kids, and not slowing down for the students who just couldn't grasp what was going on.

It's very easy for kids to slide through the cracks and just skate along through school, never having learned anything.

I'm not exactly sure if I want to homeschool, but it's definitely a strong possibility. My husband is not on board with it yet, citing socialization and such. I guess we'll wait and see when our son is older.

I read an article in the newspaper about how about forty percent of Georgia's eighth-graders had failed the math portion of the CRCT. And seventy to eighty percent of sixth- and seventh-graders had failed the social studies section of the test.

Many parents are outraged at these scores. It does make you wonder about how well schools are really educating students.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...